1.14.2013

2013



As the ball dropped, as champagne glasses clinked, and as Dick Clark, undoubtedly, counted down in his grave -All welcomed 2013 with open arms.

New Years hadn't always been a big deal for me. In fact, I don't remember caring much about the celebrations and the backwards number chanting...until...I saw a particular episode of The O.C. during a very young and impressionable time in my life. I clearly remember Mischa Barton saying "How you spend New Years, is how you will spend the rest of your year." Ever since that darn Mischa, New Years became of UTMOST importance to me. Annually, December 31st was a day dedicated to superstitiously deep cleaning my room, exfoliating my skin, shaving my legs - all so that I would enter into the New Year, the best possible version of myself: un-hairy, clean, and put-together. I was ready to HAVE IT ALL.

So, when my parents told me I had to spend New Years 2013 in Sacramento, I almost keeled over in sorrow. I frantically tried to find the absolute most exciting activity to do...and came up with: seeing the movie, Argo. Argo was how I was going to spend the rest of my year.

As I scrolled through my instagram/twitter/facebook/google feed to vicariously live through friends' & strangers' New Years's Eve, I couldn't help but feel a little jealousy, a little sadness, and a little envy at how others' welcomed 2013. And beneath every smiling-party-hat-confetti photo, twitter update, or facebook post, was the same declaration: "2013 IS MY YEAR".
I felt robbed. Hold on, why can't 2013 be MY year? Did I miss the sign-up sheet?

Logistically, 2013 can't be ALL of our's year. For some of us, 2013 will just be another 365 days. For others, 2013 will be a year worth forgetting. And then, for a lucky few, 2013 will indeed be their year.

So what kind of year will 2013 be for me?
If I listen to Mischa Barton, 2013 will be a year of overpriced movie tickets, scratchy theatre seats, and buttery styrofoam popcorn.
But, perhaps this year, will actually be the year, I stop letting The O.C. superstitions dictate my days.
I must remember, It is God who is sovereign over 2013. And it is in that truth that I will hope in. I will trust in God's Power,  His timing, and in His Word. May 2013 be a year of spiritual growth. May 2013 be God's year.




1 comment:

  1. I really love this post :) I haven't ever heard the song or whatever says that New Years is the way the rest of the year will be like - but the way you described how your day turned out made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Search